Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sound Expertise


This is my final project for this semester. I interviewed a very interesting man, Pantelis Vassilakis, who teaches here at Columbia. Vassilakis made for easy story-writing, because his life is so fascinating - he grew up in Athen's Greece, played volleyball for the Greek national team, was a successful model who traveled throughout Europe, an accomplished composer, musician, and sound engineer. Now he teachers sound at Columbia, focusing on cognition and perception.

The interview went really well which made for some great quotes. I kept close watch on Vassilakis' movement: his hands were constantly gesturing, his eyes widening, his large, friendly smile popping up every few seconds. He also carried himself with poise, and purpose. He is clearly a driven man and an intelligent man, but also very creatively inclined.

We discussed philosophy, religion, family, capitalism. For an hour Vassilakis was candid with me, telling me all about his life and his beliefs, and I enjoyed it.

For the layout, I knew the picture of him and his family had to be front-and-center, and large, because it was such a strong photo, showing how happy he is.

Elio suggested the headline, which I like because I wanted a headline which reflected his love for sound, since it seems to be his strongest passion. Another working headline was: Renaissance Man, which is kind of boring.

The quotes I pulled were those that stuck out the most, and would appeal to a Chicago reader, flipping through the magazine.

I especially love the picture of Vassilakis as a boy, and how it contrasts to him as an adult with silver hair and a wife and children. He is still very proud of his country.

1 comment:

  1. The addition of the childhood picture was great. I like the layout and the design of the title. Great use of pictures and pull quotes.

    ReplyDelete